Tuesday 6 December 2011

An off week

Hello!


I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who read and also messaged me with comments on the couple of music-based posts I did this last week.  You're all very kind and I've now got some new suggestions to be getting on with.


I'm firmly back on topic today though although it may be a bit briefer than usual.


I went for a 2 mile run on Saturday morning as my usual Friday night slot was occupied by babysitting.  I'm actually considering switching to Saturday mornings altogether.  Firstly, it means I can enjoy my Friday night at the end of the week without feeling like I have to get a run 'out of the way' and secondly, it'll be good to get used to running in the mornings in preparation for April next year.


It was a really good run as it happens, managed 11 minute miles which, if I was looking to pace myself, that's what I'm aiming for.  I also managed longer periods of sustained running without cramping up or feeling like I had to stop because of the old injury.  Most of all, I felt no after effects which is really promising stuff - hopefully that will all continue.


Diabetes wise, it's been a bit of a struggle for the latter part of this week as I've ben struck down with the dreaded man-flu.  What I'd forgotten is how much being even a tiny bit off colour can affect your blood sugar.  As a rule, I'll just aim to keep my readings under 10mmol while I'm ill and even that's been a struggle this week.

I couldn't explain to you why it happens, but I know that it does and so the last 3 days I've been dialling my insulin dose up a bit to try and stay in control.  It'll pass soon enough and then I imagine a short period of adjustment will follow before I'm back to normal again.  That might coincide with Christmas a bit, but that's just one of those things - no-one can help being ill.

I'm still undecided if I'll go running tonight.  I want to (which is good).  I feel better than I have done for 3 days (also good) but I can't tell if I'm really physically up to it.  It's difficult because I don't want to feel like I'm losing ground, especially as I feel like I'm already behind where I'd like to be.  On the other hand, running for the sake of it, when I don't fee right is quite plainly silly.

If I feel right later on I might do a shorter run (1.5 miles) just to get the blood flowing a bit.  I'm looking at a longer run on Saturday morning (3 miles) which will be good to get the momentum going.

I'm going to leave it there for now.  Thanks for reading - appreciate it's a bit thin on content this week but I didn't want to ramble on for the sake of it.

Feel free to give me a tweet (@BroomOwl) or an e-mail (broomowl@gmail.com) if you fancy a chat.

Take care

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment