Wednesday 16 November 2011

The long and winding road

Good morning.

I'll apologise up front for the loose interpretation of the Paul McCartney penned song as a title for this post, but I felt it was a decent interpretation of the route I took on last night's run:


This was my first 2 mile run of this training session and it went pretty well all things considered.  I had to contend with a shocking stitch for most of it, but I think if I'm going to insist on eating 2 hours before I go out, I'm going to have to put up with it.

Not feeling any serious after effects of the running just yet either which is encouraging.  The odd ache here and there feels pretty much normal these days and so I'm feeling pretty happy with how things are going so far.

I got up and went for a run first thing on Saturday morning as well so I'm up to 3.5 miles a week at the moment.  I think if I can manage that again this week then I can move up to around 5 miles a week by the end of November and then gradually increase that in the run up to Christmas.  I don't want to get ahead of myself but I'd like to think I could string together a 4 or 5 mile run by New Year if things go well.  I should be on my proper training plan by then which will be an important milestone.

I was talking to a friend this week about how I'm missing running with music on. It's strange because I've always found it very motivating but I think at the moment I'm going to subconsciously start to increase my pace too much or inadvertently try to do too much and I don't want to take that risk right now.  I might try and find some slower music to listen to as my distances improve but I'll leave that for a few weeks.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

All things diabetic remain pretty much the same.  I'm generally keeping everything under pretty good control despite the odd indulgence as I catch up with people before Christmas.

As I've said in previous posts, not being able to calculate the right amount of insulin (and having to rely on guess work) is tricky and leads to the odd over or undercorrection.  Waking up in the middle of the night with low blood sugar and having to sit in the dark and pop a few jelly babies to correct your blood levels isn't the greatest of feelings (and does little for your sleep either).

Some of my fingers are starting to resemble a pin cushion from where I check my blood (pin prick on the end of your finger) so I'm making a conscious effort to pick on less used fingers for a while.  The trouble with that is that it becomes a bit more painful.  Just one of those things I suppose.

It was World Diabetes Day on Monday this week.  It passed me by if I'm honest.  I have to say I didn't know there was a World Diabetes Day until I started to see the odd tweet mentioning it.  If you're interested in finding out a bit more, there's a good link just here: World Diabetes Day  You can find out a bit more about the symptoms (useful if you're feeling constantly tired, getting lots of cramps etc).  It's always worth knowing things like this as I effectively diagnosed myself with the condition before I visited the GP on campus at University 10 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to read through.  I really do appreciate the support from you all.  I'm always happy to have a chat on twitter (@BroomOwl) or on broomowl@gmail.com

I hope you all have a good week.

Take care

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment